Monday, November 26, 2007

Joya De Nicaragua - Antano 1970



Size: 6 x 54 Belicoso
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano Criollo
Filler: Nicaraguan Habana

Binder: Nicaraguan Habana
Body: Full
Strength: Full

This is a sight to hold, the JDN-Antano 1970 has to be one of the most beautiful cigars out there. As a tribute to Joya De Nicaragua's fame of the 1970s this cigar wants people to remember that this top brands was once the most famous to come out of Nicaragua, almost losing it's fame to war and the lose of the factory. With the call for stronger cigars, JDN has released this beauty. This dark Criollo wrapper cigar boast quality in the looks alone. The veins are over barring and distracting the looks of this stick, the cigar was packed firm with no soft spots. I smoked this cigar at my local cigar lounge during the Boston and Colorado World Series.

The brown wrapper produces a flavorless taste on the tongue before lighting and the contents of the cigar is spicey cocoa. When I took a pre-light draw I was given a loose draw that I expected to be too much for a full body and full strength cigar. I had a bit of a struggle to light this cigar, it took a bit of work to get a nice even burn going around the foot, once lit this stick was non stop to the end. With most cigars I come to expect the first couple of draws to produce a bit of spice and a tad of harshness. What I was greeted with was an instantly smooth cocoa flavored smoke. No harshness, no spice, just creamy and thick.

Into the body of the cigar, the Antano 1970 has a light gray ash that is a bit flaky, but holds firm to the cigar. The burn line was even through the whole smoke, never losing track of it's goal to stay straight. The smoke was interesting, with a loose draw one does not know if they would be presented with too much smoke or not enough, this particular cigar never gave me too much, but at times it was a bit thin. When the smoke was thick it was so flavorful that I wanted more, with the thin smoke it gave me a chance to relax and think about the cigar and contemplate about the flavors it was producing, giving me a chance to pick out the flavors this cigar offered.

With the thickness of the smoke changing I was able to pick up the creamy cocoa and coffee flavors this cigar gave me with touches of cinnamon in the creamy flavor profile. The smoke was never too thin that I was annoyed, it kept me interested during the whole smoke. If it was not for the thin times in the smoke I probably would have smoked this one too fast. Which one should be careful with as this cigar can easily turn on the smoker and knock them off their feet. At times I thought I may have to give in to its strength, but luckily I ate a hardy meal and took my time. I was left with a mild buzz that let me know it can take me out if it wanted too.

This is a perfect after dinner cigar. There is a lot of flavor and strength behind it. I enjoyed this cigar so much I went ahead and purchased more before leaving my local cigar lounge. I am not a huge fan of Nicaraguan puros, I am working my way through Don Pepin Garcia's cigars, but Nicaraguan puros are not stand out favorites of mine. This Antano 1970 on the other hand is in my top favorite cigars. Enjoy this one folks, you will love putting the flame to these cigars!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

just had one this afternoon after lunch.
i agree with most of the things u said about,
i will definitely have more of this JDN, just one thing i disagree,
the burn is not as even as you say, but hey! i think this is personality, i had to stop smoking for other reason around 1/2 cigar and i picked it after one hour, it felt a bit harsh, until it got back to temperature, thanks god i was persisting in claiming the pleasure back, i have been rewarded with i would say a 70% it stayed a bit harsh till the end, but i will surely get back to it and non stop this time


page counter