Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Taboo Twist

Taboo Twist

Size: 6x58 Toro
wrapper: Connecticut Shade and Maduro

Binder: ? No Info

Filler: ? No Info

Body: Medium

Strength: Mild-Medium

Humidor Time: 4 Months


This is a hefty cigar and probably one of the most beautiful barber pole cigars I have seen to date. The colors of the Connecticut shade and maduro wrappers are such a sharp difference that one cannot help but notice the beautiful workmanship. The construction is pratically flawless. The smell of tobacco lofting from this cigar is intoxicating, the smell of maduro is prominent. I am anticipating the oportunity to enjoy a cigar that others have enjoyed so much.


As I moistened the cap, the very top of the cigar came loose, which is a Connecticut circle used to cap off the cigar, it was not a big deal as the top was removed completely when clipped. This was easy to cut and light, the foot lit up without hesitation, this was a bit of a surprise as larger ring gauges typically take a few extra passes with the match to light.

The start was peppery with a finish that tasted of burnt paper. Within a couple of puffs the pepper started to subside and a creaminess is being created. As the pepper faded away, I got a distinct soapy taste and the finish was acrid. I am still working through the first quarter of the cigar, this has a lot of potential that will probably even this out.


The aroma from this cigar reminds me of a maduro Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur, the acrid touch I am getting is reminiscent of an Arturo Fuente cigar. As I reach the body of the cigar I am picking up a buttery texture and flavor. This is not that bad.


Now that I am into the body of the cigar I notice that the lighter wrapper is burning faster than the maduro. The burn is off, with the maduro burning even and the Connecticut burning rocky, but I have come to expect that from barber pole cigars. The flavor is powdery and perfumy, that burnt paper taste still remains, but the acrid touch fades in and out. This is really not agreeing with my taste buds.


The ash is dark and solid, holding firm as to not drop until I tap in on the ashtray. As I am reaching halfway into the cigar, the burn is starting to even out.


The acrid flavor will not go away, I getting hints of flavor that want to emerge, but I cannot get past this acrid taste. There is a sweet almond touch I can pick out and some cocoa, but I am getting so much of a burnt rubber that I am having trouble concentrating on the good flavors. There is a creamy aftertaste and the smoke is buttery smooth. Unfortunately as I am getting through the center of the cigar the burn is turning choppy again.


Still a bit soapy with an acrid finish and a creamy aftertaste. I am trying to enjoy this, but I cannot finish this cigar, with about 3 inches left I let it go out. What a disappointment. Well, you win some and you lose some, that is an important aspect of this hobby that I respect. I would have a hard time recommending this cigar to those that do not like Arturo Fuente's, these seemed too similar for me and just did not suit what I enjoy.


Appearance
2- Beautiful
Construction 3- Solid
Burn 1.5- Took a while to burn straight, then picked up a vein and burned uneven again
Ash 2.5- Really held on well
Flavor 0.5 - Had potential but I could not find it
Smoke Profile 2- Smooth Easy and Nice
Aroma 2 - Enjoyable, this is not overpowering, nice and mellow



=13.5 Points

No comments:


page counter