Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Peterson- Gran Reserva

Peterson Gran Reserva

Size: 6.125 x 52 Belicoso
Wrapper: Cameroon

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan and Honduran

Body: Full

Strength: Medium

Humidor Time: 3 Months


This toothy cigar comes from Peterson, a well know tobacco company; in the pipe world. They have made a cigar that looks well presented and smells of good quality tobacco. The wrapper is rough in touch, but elegant in appearance, very few veins, just smooth to look at.


As I have stated before, I am not a Cameroon guy, so this will be interesting for me. The draw is very loose, having read this is full body I will be smoking this a bit slower than usual. This lights up easily and I am given a good amount of thick smoke with a lot of flavor.


From the beginning the smoke is smooth with a nice earthy flavor followed by a sweet finish. This is an interesting cigar as I get a flavor that I cannot quite place. The aroma is quite pleasant; the cigar is burning really well and producing a lot of smoke. The smoke is creamy with a butter texture.


The ash is gray and does not hold much at all, it drops easily from the end of the cigar. The burn is even and unfortunately faster than I would prefer, though not heating up the cigar.


Halfway into the cigar I finally was able to pin point that odd flavor, it is vanilla. For some reason, I am not surprised and it reminds me of pipe tobacco again. That is a recurring thought that keeps coming to mind as I smoke this cigar. As good as it is, it tastes like it is made of pipe tobacco. This becomes a monotonous flavor after a while.


I ended up putting this down with about 2 inches left; the flavor just became boring to me. I kept wondering if there was a leaf in the cigar that was treated like Cavendish.
I wanted to be smoking a cigar, not a pipe.

Recommended?
Yes, but remember that this is a pipe company’s cigar.


No comments:


page counter