Wednesday, October 22, 2008

5 Vegas Cask-Strength

5 Vegas Cask-Strength



Size: 5.75 X 54 Toro
Wrapper: Cuban Seed Dominican
Binder: Dominican Corojo
Filler: Brazilian ('99), Piloto Cubano ('99), Nicaraguan('99)
Body: Med-Full
Strength: Medium
Humidor Time: 2 Months


After seeing these when they first came out I have been wanting to get my hands on them. These are 5 Vegas fullest cigar. The tobaccos were harvested in 1999, so what is to be expected is a good smooth solid smoking cigar, right?

Right from the start this is a beautiful cigar, a nice brown wrapper that is smooth with a light showing of veins. This cigar is rather heavy for it's size and solid, very little give when squeezed. The draw is surprisingly loose allowing air to freely draw through. The pre-light draw gives off strong tobacco and cedar flavors. the cut was with ease and the foot toasted up quickly.

My first taste was a woody pepper start, not to be confused with a spice, but nice pepper flavor. The smoke was thick and abundant, the loose draw really produces a lot. As I made my way into the body of the cigar I was given a strong robust coffee flavor with a creamy aftertaste, the pepper is still there but not on the front of the flavors.

The ash is gray and solid only falling when tapped off, the burn is perfect.

The body is turning out a lot of woody flavor, like the cedar I noticed in the pre-light taste. It is light in the woody department, but strong in the coffee. Every now and again I do get a slight cocoa touch. Throughout the cigar I do taste a lot of that coffee with a pepper background.

Reaching the final third of the cigar it was getting rather hot. The pepper was picking up and the coffee was becoming a hit and miss. I decided now would be a good time to let this one go out.

I probably should have let this cigar sit in my humidor for a longer time before smoking it. With such old tobacco together, I did expect a better cigar, this was not bad at all, but did not seem to have enough time to rest. As nice as it is to know that 9 year old tobacco was used for this blend, it would have been far better, I think, if the cigar was rolled 9 years ago and sat for the time to allow the leafs to marry the flavors together.

Recommended? Yes

No comments:


page counter