Sunday, February 24, 2008

Cuvee Rouge - Robusto

Cuvee Rouge Cigar Review

Size: 5x50 Robusto
Wrapper: Sun-Grown Dominican
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
Body: Medium-Full
Strength: Medium
Humidor time: 1 Month


I went ahead and continued on my Cuvee tour with the Rouge after trying the 151 and giving my throat some time to heal. I got this cigar with my purchase of the 151, it too had one month of time in my humidor resting away. This cigar is also beautiful, the wrapper holds a red hue to it that is quite inviting. This particular stick did have a minor triangle shaped tear at the foot, but it never split and become worse. The cigar is firm, the wrapper is spicy like many others.

The cigar lit up with lots of toasty smoke. It was not pleasant, the flavor was ashy with a tinge of ammonia. The ashy ammonia was prevalent throughout the cigar as it burned down. It was unpleasant to say the least.

The ash was white, but flakey, causing concern to make sure it dropped in the ashtray instead of on me. I do ash more often then some, so it bothers me that I have to keep my eye on the ash to make sure I do not end up with a hole in my pants. The burn was nothing exciting.

During the smoke I noticed a tingling feeling, some may call it a tang, but it was different than I am used to. I picked up a good amount of cocoa, coffee flavors and cinnamon. During the smoke I tried to discern if the tingle feeling I got was the cinnamon or not, but it was a bit of work to figure it out and I never did.

During the smoke I had written in my notes several times the ammonia I would get as the cigar burned. This cigar turned out to be another disappointment for me. I am wondering if the tobacco is too young, the amount of ammonia I got during the smoke was way too much. The tobacco certainly was used too soon and should have been fermented longer, unless strong ammonia is what Cusano was hoping to accomplish with this cigar.

I am certainly going to give my other Cuvee Rouges a long time to rest before lighting up again. I cannot recommend this cigar unless you enjoy ammonia.

Appearance 2-I Liked It
Construction 3- Good
Burn 1- Okay
Ash 1- Flaky
Flavor 1- Great smoke, lots of flavor
Smoke Profile 1.5- Perfect, no harsh spots at all, smooth and nice
Aroma 1- Enjoyable fragrance, but stinks up the skin

=10.5 Points

No comments:


page counter