Monday, April 7, 2008

Anejo - Arturo Fuente (Shark) #77

Arturo Fuente Anejo Shark

Size: 5 7/8 x 50/64
Wrapper: Connecticut Broad Leaf
Binder: Chateau de la Fuente Dominican

Filler: Chateau de la Fuente Dominican

Body: Med-Full

Strength: Med-Full

Humidor Time: 4 Months


For some reason I was drawn to smoke this cigar today, I was looking through my humidor wondering what I should have and this one stood out. Mind you that this stick was sitting on the bottom of my humidor with others stacked on top of it, but this one called out to me. The brown wrapper on this square pyramid cigar is toothy, the cigar is squishy and though it has a square shape from the mid body to the foot of the stick, it is not all that square. It does not look to be evenly rolled, when I removed the band, I can see that the band was placed a little tight causing a slight hour glass shape where it was on the cigar.


The wrapper smells like cedar, dirt, and desert grass while the foot smells strongly of maduro cocoa. Upon removing the red band on the foot of the cigar, I see it was covering some cracks in the wrapper. The cap on the cigar is a good size leaving room to cut and not worry about taking to much off, before cutting I moistened the cap and tasted a cocoa sweetness with spice. With the cap removed, my tongue tastes a sweetness and a salty flavor in the tobacco.


I just realized that the one cutter I own and am using, costs less then the cigar I am cutting. Also my lighter costs about a tenth of what I paid for this cigar, sad that the tools which will be around after I finish the cigar costs less total than the stick I am about to burn.


The cigar lights easily, the smoke is abundant and the aroma smells like a cigar shop. The smoke itself is smooth and thick with no spice or acridity I associate with many Arturo Fuente cigars. The first flavor I get is dirt. The draw is a tad tight, but not restricting a great amount of smoking coming through the cigar. A sweetness is hidden in the smoke with the salty touch.


The smoke is dry, the burn is rather straight and the ash is a very light gray holding only about 3/4 of an inch before falling.


As I was into the body I was picking up a nice light cocoa flavor and an acrid taste, which does not surprise me coming from an Arturo Fuente cigar. I cut about an eighth of an inch off more of the cap, it was a bit too tight for my liking, I am pleased I did so as the draw loosened right up as I prefer and I still have another eighth of an inch left of the cap on the cigar.


I was given a sharp flavor like Sumatra coffee. The burn has decided to do as it pleases and has become wavy on one side and starting to canoe on the other. I continued to get a nice coffee flavor, and as I was nearing the halfway point I tasted walnuts. With some rotating the burn self corrected and burning straight.


The acrid flavor is still there and getting in the way of a good maduro ciagr. Continuing on through the second half of the cigar I was given a nice woody flavor, an earthiness that is a good change of pace. The smoke is a tad harsh in the back of my throat, there is no spice to taste, but felt it. The flavor developed a bit of sourness but still creating strong coffee, cocoa, and the acrid touch is backing off slightly.


Into the final third the burn remained straight, the acridness has picked up a whole lot getting in the way of the other flavors this cigar is capable of. With just under two inches left I continue on for the sake of the review, but I am really disappointed so far with this cigar. I never did get another touch of harshness in the smoke expect that one time.


Okay, so after another half inch, I decided to put this cigar to rest, it was still acrid and not getting any better.


My final thoughts. This is certainly an Arturo Fuente cigar, that acrid taste is terrible and I notice it in a lot of their cigars. So far I have only enjoyed the Opus X they make, all the others have been a waste of my money. I can find other maduro cigars that I enjoy and do not have that bothersome flavor. I do not recommend this cigar for two reasons, 1) the acrid flavor gets in the way, and 2) the price for this is not worth the money. In my opinion this cigar is over rated, over priced, over hyped, and does not taste good.


I have one more Shark and one Churchill to smoke, we will see what happens in a year or so, but it will not be any time soon before I want another Anejo.

At Least I still have my cutter and lighter.

Appearance
1- Average
Construction 3- Excellent
Burn 1.5- Near perfect, just a minor wavy here or there
Ash 2- Very Nice
Flavor 1.5 - Many nice flavors, but all lost due to acridity
Smoke Profile 2- Only once did I question the smoke, as such it is not enough to affect the rating
Aroma 2 - Nice and not overpowering, Aromatic, enjoyable fragrance


=13 Points

No comments:


page counter