Sunday, April 13, 2008

McClelland Dark Star - Pipe Tobacco

This tobacco is Virginia and Carolina leaf, dark dark black color with a touch of tan here and there, looks to be very oily. Reading the description of this, McClelland ages this tobacco for 3 years before selling, well this tobacco was gifted to me by IHT with a date of 2000. So I need to note that this probably does not taste the same as a fresh open tin.

The aroma is pungent, and hits the sinuses with a tingle. The tobacco is in flake form, it crumbles easily as I prepare it for my pipe. Normally with flake I do a little folding and packing, crumble the top to get it lit, but for this review I am rubbing out the flakes.

For me, the tobacco is a bit more difficult to light with it rubbed out, I got it going though. This burns warm for the start, the smoke is clean and light, but abundant.

First this I was presented with was a vinegar and hickory. For some reason I really did the vinegar taste, I like pickles and I like Zots candy, so what can I say? Into the bowl the taste was still sour and picking up some leather tones. The smoke was consistent throughout the bowl, light and clean with a bit of citrus in the background.

There was not a lot of complexity or flavor changes, the smoke developed a woody taste and it seemed like fermented berries were hiding in the background, kind of like a liquor touch. This tobacco burns warm, never getting too hot, the flavor was still sharp and at times a sweetness tried to emerge but was never able to come to the front of the flavor profiles.

The aftertaste is very woody, it is not overbearing on the senses. The aroma this tobacco produced is like burning berries, kind of sweet with a touch of a charred scent.

My final thoughts. I really enjoy this tobacco, I have just enough for one more bowl and then it is gone, I need to purchase a couple of tins to keep around. This tobacco burns warm, doesn't bite, the smoke is smooth and clean. I find this burns easier if the flakes are not rubbed out. I would say this is an acquired taste and I will have to make sure I always have some on hand. I cannot wait to try a fresh batch too. This is a medium Body and mild strength tobacco.

Thanks IHT!!!

No comments:


page counter