Sunday, April 27, 2008

Fonseca Habana Seleccion

Fonseca Habana Seleccion

Size: 7 x 50 - No. 1
Wrapper: Nicaraguan-grown, Habana Criollo ’98

Binder: Nicaragua

Filler: Dominican Seco & Ligero

Body: Full

Strength: Medium-Full

Humidor Time: 3 Months



This cigar came to me by accident from an online retailer, I must comment on the color of this cigar’s wrapper, it sports a lovely brown with a reddish hue. The wrapper is a Criollo 98 leaf, the cigar is soft with a fairly smooth wrapper with only a couple of noticeable veins, the largest one is seen in the photo near the palm of my hand. With the cap cut, the cigar does not have a loose draw, it is a bit firm. The wrapper is a toothy velvet on the lips. As I think about this cigar before lighting, I am again wondering why I am going to smoke a 7 inch cigar, hopefully it will be time well spent.


The first initial draw on the cigar after lighting, I was instantly greeted with a creamy rich smoke that was thick, yet light at the same time. I am impressed with the smoothness, it is obvious that Fonseca used quality tobacco for this cigar. I notice a salty sour tang the head of the cigar, the first flavors I am given is a woody coffee. Exhaling through the nose is easy with this one, I am picking up some wheat flavor with a varnish finish.


Into the body of the cigar, this is smooth, the ash is white and holds for half an inch, the burn on the other hand is having trouble burning straight. The aftertaste is a pleasant toasted flavor. The aroma is similar to pipe tobacco, it is appealing. I am tasting that wheat flavor with a roasted bean touch. Before long the burn has evened up with some careful rotating, it is close to being straight. As I continue on, the flavors become bold and robust, I am getting a taste of burnt coffee, this cigar is really out to trick the smoker. In the background of the smoke, a sweetness is pleasant, not sure if I really like the burnt flavors, but the sweetness keeps me hanging on and wanting more.


As I reach into the second half of the cigar, the burn has decided to creep up one of the more prominent veins (the one seen in the photo), so it is no longer even. The flavors are still robust, giving off a brunt coffee and wheat flavors with a sweetness in the background. I am also still getting a salty citrus touch on my lips from the wrapper. The cigar stays lit very well, I had to run up to get my laundry out of our shared laundry mat at our condominiums and when I returned, this thing was still burning.


This is a very consistent cigar, not at all boring, with each puff I get a heady robust taste and a sweet finish. As I near the end of the cigar I am pleased to have devoted the two hours needed to smoke it. The body is full and the cigar finished in the medium to full range. The wrapper cracked under the bottom band as I clumsily removed it, the top band came off fine without any problems. The crack did not expand or cause any problems in the burn.


My final thoughts. I was impressed with this cigar, it is my first Fonseca and I enjoyed it. I do not care much for a burnt flavor, but with a sweetness hidden within, this was a delightful smoke. I do recommend this to those looking for a robust cigar that is rich in smooth flavors. The strength of this cigar will creep up on you if you are not careful, smoke it slow and enjoy what it offers. One final note, this cigar will make your breathe smell like a dead cigar, not very nice at all.

Appearance 2- I Like It
Construction 2- Soft and squishy
Burn 1.5- Took a while to burn straight, then picked up a vein and burned uneven again
Ash 1.5- Drops too easily
Flavor 3.5 - Very interesting
Smoke Profile 2- Smooth Easy and Nice
Aroma 2 - Enjoyable, this is not overpowering, nice and mellow


=14.5 Points

No comments:


page counter