Sunday, April 6, 2008

Classic Vanilla - Altadis - Pipe Tobacco

On the package this tobacco is described as an “all burley blend topped with vanilla” though as I was looking for more information, I found on the Altadis website that this Classic Vanilla blend is described as “We make this blend with only the choicest Burleys, Golden Cavendishes and Virginias available”. This package I have is just over two years old, so it is possible that they have changed the blend from straight burley tobacco to now include the “Gold Cavendishes” and “Virginias”.

As I looked this bag I saw a different colored tobacco leafs, from tan to brown to black. I do question the blend described on the package as to what is on the website. The tobacco is not heavily scented with vanilla, I was a bit surprised as I would have thought the aroma would have been much stronger, as that has been my experience with vanilla flavored tobacco up to this point. This tobacco seems light weight, there is not a lot of heft to it and it is soft in texture. I carefully placed it into the bowl of my Amadeus 2nd pipe.

From the beginning this tobacco lit up easily giving off a rich amount of creamy smoke with just a touch of vanilla flavor. This is not an overly flavored tobacco and is lightly sweet. I can distinctly taste the nutty flavors of the Burley tobacco with just the slightest bit of spice.

The aroma of this blend is a mellow vanilla and caramel. The tobacco burns really well, never needing a relight during the entire bowl.

As I was nearing the last half of the bowl a caramel flavor emerge and with a touch of oatmel in both taste and aroma. This blend is soothing and easy to enjoy. There is not much in the way of complexity, the smoker can plop this into a pipe and go mow the lawn without much forethought.

The tobacco smokes cool, it was not until I was reaching the final end of the bowl that the pipe started to heat up, even then the pipe is not hot, just warm. As I puffed on I was given a woody touch in the smoke, the aroma still drifting into my nose is still just as pleasant, this picking up in vanilla aroma.

My final thoughts: This is a nice mellow vanilla blend, the body was in the mild-medium range and the strength was in the mild range. This is a nice aromatic for beginners and even experienced smokers.

No comments:


page counter