Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Camacho Triple Maduro

Photobucket

Country: Honduras
Size: 6 x 60 Torpedo

Wrapper: Maduro

Binder: Maduro

Filler: Maduro

Body: Full

Strength: Full

Humidor Time: 4 Months



I have been patient trying to wait longer before lighting this cigar, but after looking at this cigar for 4 months and the beautiful silver band mocking me every time I opened my humidor, today is as good as any other to light this one up. I enjoy Camacho cigars and since the release of a triple maduro, I looked around fervently for some time until I was able to grab this beauty at a B&M in El Toro. This stick is solid, I would figure so since maduro tobacco is thicker than the average natural wrapper, but when I mention solid, do not under estimate that statement. The wrapper is a very dark brown with long thin veins flowing around the circumference of the cigar. I can see different color tobacco in the foot, the scent is rich and grassy.

Before lighting I moistened the cap and tasted a strong and rich cocoa flavor. As I have learned in the past with a dark maduro cigar, I took the moistened cap and wiped it with my finger, sure enough some color transfered onto my skin. So I moistened some more and wiped the cap until I could no longer see any color coming off the cigar. I do not want to look like I have chocolat eon my lips.


The cap was a bit difficult to cut, it was like I was trying to cut a branch with my cutter. The draw is surprisingly loose, considering it felt like I just cut a branch, I figured it would be like trying to breathe through a branch. The pre light draw gave me flavors of coca cola and grass. While lighting this cigar smelled like burning grass.


This cigar starts off with a whole lot of smoke, it draws easily through the cigar producing a thick amount to be enjoyed. At the start I was presented a mild spice with anise, the spice backed of some by the third draw and became more of a pepper tatse that lingers well after exhaling. Before getting into the body of the cigar I detected some cocoa flavors but not much, just a slight touch mingled in coffee.


Once I finally started into the body, the pepper backed off some more and the cocoa flavors really started to stand out, I was even picking up some almond flavors with that almond sweetness in it. The burn is not perfect and slightly wavy, the ash very white from the outside to the inside of the cigar and is not holding longer than a quarter of an inch.


The after taste leaves a burnt cocoa flavor in my mouth, the smoke is thick, but does not linger much at all after exhaling. The flavors pick up some, really not turning much, just s nice cocoa flavor, some good coffee and almond touch, but the sweetness turned a bit to toffee. So now I have toffee-coffee-cocoa-almond-root beer (anise) tasting cigar, sounds like something new for Starbucks to invent.


This cigar is burning extremely slow, I am only one inch into this stick, I started at 5:15 pm and it is now 5:40 pm. One inch in 25 minutes, I am going to be here for a while. The cigar has a lot more resting smoke than other cigars I have smoked, but it is not affecting the burn time at all.


The ash is holding better now it is almost 3/4 of an inch long, I decided to drop the ash at this point as I do not want it in my lap. The pepper and burnt after taste is completely gone, leaving a nice mellow flavor with a mixture of anise. I noticed at this point I have a salty taste on the outside of my lips from this cigar. The cocoa continues to slowly increase in strength. This is a full body cigar but the strength is very powerful, I can tell this can be dangerous if I smoke any faster, so I am going to stay at this pace, I am tempted to say this is stronger than the Camacho Corojo and certainly stronger than the Flor De Dominicana Double Ligero Chiselito. I can feel the nicotine trying to hit me like a Mack truck.


The burn has evened up and is almost razor straight. Just before I reached into the second half of the cigar I tasted a strong fruity flavor, I was not able to pin point the flavor exactly as I had only two puffs with this and I was jazzed to get a new flavor, at that point I was hit with a strong citrus. So now I am encountering new dimensions and this cigar continues to pour out a lot of the flavors mentioned above.


The smoke has remained smooth through the entire body of this stick, I am two hours in and still have one and a half inches left of this monster. I was given some tanginess in the smoke which I can still describe as citrus. The pepper background is starting to return as it once began. Through out the cigar I was picking up a trace of earthy leather that would show up then back off. I never had to relight this cigar. I am feeling this as I near the end, this is a powerful smoke, I am being cautious to not over do the puffing so I do not end up over the porcelain throne cursing the Cigar Gods.


Wow, what a cigar! This is not one to be tried by the uninitiated. After a solid two and a half hours of smoking I am near the end. Still not quite done yet, but I will add my final thoughts now. I strongly recommend this to those who love a powerful maduro smoke, be prepared and take it slow, this may burn faster, but I was not going to be trying at all. Smooth, rich, cocoa with sweetness and a mix of flavors. I wondered if this was going to be a waste of money, but I am pleased to say it was worth the $12 spent. I swear this cigar tried to kill me.


Easy to enjoy and also easy to give in to, did I mention this was a strong cigar?


Appearance 2- I Like It
Construction 3- Excellent
Burn 2- Perfect
Ash 2- Very Nice
Flavor 3.5 - Not quite perfect, but very complex and enjoyable
Smoke Profile 2- Smooth Easy and Nice
Aroma 1.5 -Almost Enjoyable, this one is strong


=16 Points

No comments:


page counter