Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Don Lino Africa - Kifaro

Don Lino Africa Kifaro

Size: 6.5x52 Kifaro (Torpedo)
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Africa, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Mexico
Body: Medium
Strength: Medium

I was looking at this cigar without the band before lighting up, I noticed how good it looks. This is a cigar that the roller was probably proud to create. the wrapper was perfect, the stick was straight, the roll was even, and the tapered head was flawless. This cigar was solid in looks and feel, it presents quality. Yet, after cutting the cap, I was working with a firm draw. I figured I can easily work with it considering how impressive the cigar was.

The pre-light draw flavors were basic tobacco without any spice. I was pleased to be given thick smoke when this was set to fire. It was nice to know that even with a firm draw the smoke would not be hindered, it probably would have been different with a loose draw, but that is the way it is.

I noticed that this cigar gives a lot of coffee and a sweet robust taste. All together, it is like an espresso, rich and solid flavors. I was downed by an acrid taste that perked its head once I reached the body of the smoke. It did not overpower the other flavors, at times it was not noticeable, but then at other times it was. Maybe with more age on the cigar will improve it's flavor.

The ash was spotted gray that did hold well onto the cigar, with an even burn to complement it all, that was until I moved further into the body of the cigar. The smoke continued with rich flavors and the smoke quality was creamy and smooth. When I reached into the last half of the cigar, I had trouble keeping the cigar lit, every time I turned away, the cigar would die out and I had to draw on the cigar more than I wanted to. This was causing the last 2 inches to burn hot. I continued to keep going and would purge every now and then to help keep the cigar cool, but to no avail I left it in the ashtray with one and a half inches left. I had one side burning faster then the other, either that or one side refused to burn for me.

This is a descent cigar, but it was not worth the price I paid. It is a boutique cigar, looks great, can taste great, but may not perform as it should. I would be interested in trying more at different sizes, so we will see if I end up revisiting this review. I can recommend it, just be aware it may not perform as it should.

Appearance 2- I Liked It
Construction 0- Terrible, A Tunneling Canoe's Nightmare Unraveling Before My Eyes
Burn 0- Is It Burning? With friends I laugh, in public I am embarrassed
Ash 1- Holds okay but falls easily
Flavor 2- Poker smoke, even flavor, not distracting, no thinking required to enjoy this one
Smoke Profile 2- Perfect, no harsh spots at all, smooth and nice
Aroma 2- Nice and not overpowering, Aromatic, enjoyable fragrance
=9 Points


No comments:


page counter