Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sancho Panza Double Maduro Escudero

Sancho Panza Double Maduro

Size: 7.2" x 54 Escudero
Wrapper: USA/ Connecticut
Binder: USA/ Connecticut
Filler: Dominican Republic, Honduras, Nicaragua
Body: Medium-Full
Strength: Mild-Medium
Humidor Time: 3 Months

Of the many maduro cigars I have seen, this has to be one of the best looking out there. The wrapper is smooth, veins complement the size of this stick nicely, and the way it is wrapped is pure perfection. This cigar is solid, not s soft spot to be found. I would think that a churchill cigar is a challenge to make, the roller who crafted this stick is a master. Every time I would look in my humidor this cigar would call out to me, I has a bad experience with Sancho Panza in the past, so I was nervous with this one, would this cigar be the one to totally turn me off to Sancho Panza?

I tasted the cap before cutting, the wrapper was a natural maduro flavor, one I cut the cap I was graced with a loose draw, the smoke was abundant and cool with a sweetness mixed in, but it did start off acrid.


Once into the body the acrid taste disappeared. The aroma of this cigar was like a barbecue, it had that burning charcoal smell to it. The ash was light gray in color and held quite strong onto the cigar and the burn was near perfect. The flavor was interesting to say the least. It was full of cocoa and mocha with robust coffee but most present was a smoked flavor. The best way I could discribe it is like Perique tobacco, those who smoke pipe tobacco or American Spirit Perique cigarettes would know this flavor.


Halfway into the cigar, the acrid taste returned and stayed for the duration of the smoke. It was not overpowering so I was able to ignore it and focus on the good flavors. I could not get over the barbecue aroma coming from this cigar, it was strong and not enjoyed when lofting towards me. This is an interesting cigar, I would consider this a summer smoke. It was not bad, but I have no desire to have another.


Appearance 2-I Liked It
Construction 3- Excellent
Burn 2- Perfect
Ash 2- Wow
Flavor 2.5- Interesting
Smoke Profile 1- Smokeable, maybe a harsh spot or two, but not distracting
Aroma 1.5- Interesting

=14 Points

No comments:


page counter