Saturday, January 26, 2008

Gran Habano- VL - Pyramid

Gran Habano VL
Gran Habano VL


Size: 6 1/8x52
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Dominican republic
Filler: Costa Rica, Nicaragua
Body: Full
Strength: Medium-Full
Humidor time: 1 Month


I am not a big fan of Gran Habano, I find their cigars to be of average quality, all seem okay but just do not suit me. Yet when I saw the VL in a B&M I was visiting while on vacation I was drawn to them very quickly. I did not know that Gran Habano made a maduro cigar, these are atractive to say the least. The cedar that covers these has the name of the cigar printed in blue on it and the band sports a gorgeous blue in it. One thing about Gran Habano, their bands are really classy. After sitting in my humidor for three weeks, I was going to smoke a different cigar, but I decided to go with this one instead.

When I removed the cedar I was presented with a dark wrapper that looked better then I expected. The stick was firm with no soft spots. I have heard of inconsistencies with the VL, but mine were all well constructed. When I cut the capI I was given a loose draw, this worries me a bit because some cigars that have a loose draw end up losing their smoking abilities. The flavors I picked up before lighting was grass and cocoa. Once the flame was applied, this cigar exploded with lots and lots of thick flavorful, creamy smoke with a pepper background. I cannot explain just how amazed I was that this cigar was a Gran Habano. The smoke was so easy, it was so much that I was taken back by it, the texture was smooth and buttery with honey and nuts mixed in it. There was a lot going on with this cigar, at the start I was hoping the cigar would continue with its outpouring.

The ash on this stick was gray with some dark blotches covering it, a bit flaky but did not fly around the room, it stayed put on the cigar.The burn started out wavy, but it evened out on its own with out any work on my end. The ash held very strong, I have not know a Gran Habano to perform as this did, I was at me local B&M when I smoked this one, so I was stuck using my cell phone's camera to take a picture of the ash, look at this! Check out the burn line too, near perfect.

Photobucket

As I entered the body of the cigar the pepper left to not return, I was happy to know this cigar did not end with the pepper I got at the beginning. In its place caramel took over, doing a great job, the sweetness was just right. Maybe the caramel was the honey I noticed at the start. The cigar was consistent in changing flavors on me, the flavors seem to rotate between each other, never letting me know which one I was going to get next.

This was a fantastic cigar, I nubbed this one down to my fingers, I do not normally smoke a cigar down that far, but this one was deserving of my time and attention. The body on this is full, the strength started out mild but ended up in the medium-full range when I finished. I did get a bit of a buzz from this one, it was euphoric feeling. I recommend this cigar to fans of maduro smokes, better yet, this has to be the best maduro cigar I have ever smoked that was under $6. It is worth more, but I am not going to tell Gran Habano that! This cigar is going on my list of favorites.

Appearance 2- I Liked It
Construction 3- Excellent
Burn 1.5- Almost Perfect
Ash 2- Wow
Flavor 4- Fantastic, flavor is awesome from the beginning to the end with no rough spots, highly recommended
Smoke Profile 2- Perfect, no harsh spots at all, smooth and nice
Aroma 2- Nice and not overpowering, Aromatic, enjoyable fragrance

=16.5 Points!!!

No comments:


page counter