Sunday, January 13, 2008

Gurkha Beast

Gurkha Beast
Gurkha Beast


Size: 6.5 x 58
Wrapper: Costa Rican Maduro
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Dominican Republic, Honduras, and Columbia
Body: Full
Strength: Medium


This is a beautiful looking monster. The wrapper is clean and uniform, with light veins surrounding this big gauge stick. This guy has been in my humidor for two months now and I could not wait any longer the light it up.

I am iffy about Gurkha's, I have had some that were okay, and some that were great. In a way they are similar to CAO with their consumers. There are CAO fans that praise and love every cigar they come out with, and the there are those that do not like CAO at all, find all the flaws and chock CAO as a brand that puts more into their marketing than the cigars. I have had CAO's that were great and then had some with ever problem possible; plugs, uneven burn, bad taste, bad construction, you name it. Gurkha's, I think, are viewed the same way. In my case, I have yet to have a bad Gurkha, but I have had some I think were okay and not worth the price. Of course on that end, Gurkha does lead the way in hefty price tags, I like to buy them in samplers and discounts.

Back to the cigar.

The Beast I used for the review had a great easy draw, with good tobacco flavors before lighting. Once touched by the flame this beauty let out an impressive amount of smoke that was creamy and rich. I was surprised when the foot of the cigar split after it was lit about half an inch up the cigar, I am not sure if it was due the the heat or the amount of tobacco was just to much and the wrapper could not hold, but it happened. It did not split any further during the smoke, so it may have even been a bit over humidified or just a fluke.

The first flavors to emerge was a creamy cocoa with some bitterness and pepper. My taste buds enjoyed this start, it was like a dark chocolate flavor mocha. Creamy and smooth.

The ash was solid and white, the contrast of this dark colored cigar with such a white ash really complemented the looks and enjoyment. The burn was a bit uneven, never needing a touch up. It did even out with some moderate rotating.

The bitterness and pepper faded out through the body of the smoke, it returned during the last one and a half inches. In my notes I wrote down that this cigar is creamy over and over, kind of similar to a coffee that has so much creamer in it that it over powers the coffee.

I really enjoyed this cigar, the flavors were tasteful and consistent through out the whole stick. It did not go harsh and gave me copious amounts of thick smoke. The price tag on this cigar is large, if yo can find them at a bargain, then it is worth giving them a try. I have added this cigar to my list of favorites. This is a highly recommended cigar.

Appearance 2- I Liked It
Construction 3- Excellent
Burn 1.5- Even, No Touch up Needed
Ash 2- Wow
Flavor 4- Fantastic, flavor is awesome from the beginning to the end with no rough spots, highly recommended
Smoke Profile 2- Perfect, no harsh spots at all, smooth and nice
Aroma 2- Nice and not overpowering, Aromatic, enjoyable fragrance
=16.5 Points!!!

No comments:


page counter