Tuesday, January 8, 2008

J. Fuego - Gran Reserve Corojo No. 1

J. Fuego Gran Reserve Corojo No.1

Size: 5 x 50 Robusto
Wrapper: Sun Grown Corojo ("Criollo")
Binder: Proprietary
Filler: Nicaraguan, Honduran, Costa Rican
Body: Medium-Full
Strength: Medium

This cigar was new to me at the local B&M I travel, when they set these out in the walk-in humidor I was not to impressed as they were put on an island table and not stocked on a shelf. The presentation was not there, but when the box is open I found myself looking at a brand I have not known about and what looked to be beautiful cigars.

The wrappers were oily and brown with a red hue. Pricing was not too bad either, I did pay a bit more for it at a B&M, I enjoy a hunt and pick inside a stocked humidor, the aroma is always enticing.

The cigar was firm, with a nice squish to it, when squeezed it would rebound easily with out cracking, perfect storage temps and humidity, is there anything better? Well enjoying this cigar sure is. With a mild taste on the cap and a great draw of air after cutting this cigar lit up easily.

This cigar exploded in smoke and in flavor from the first draw! It was so intense I was set back by it. The amount of smoke was impressive and the flavors really threw my for a loop. There was so much going on instantly that I could not pick out a single flavor right away. I am just at the start and surprised, at that point a toasty charred like flavor came into the scene with power, it was not a bad charred touch, more like toasting a marshmellow, it is not right until it just starts to brown. This cigar is robust with with a bit of sweetness throughout.

Into the body a mild cocoa arose with a strong coffee. The smoke was really nice, it carried a buttery texture to it, smooth and easy to enjoy. There was a tangy impression on the tongue, not spice but more of a pepper taste. The aroma was good

The ash was gray, flaky and only held for about half an inch. I ash out around the time, but when ash does not hold and likes to flake away, it gets me a bit irritated to wonder if my jeans are going to have new holes in them or not.

Into the last third of the cigar this is when it really opened up. The flavors came alive creating a great flavor experience. These need devotion to smoke, with all the flavors and changes, one would miss out if they use this as a "yard gar".

For a young out of the box cigar, this little beauty has a whole lot of potential. I am keeping the others I purchased in my humidor for a year and will then lite them up to see how much improvement these have. It seems that these will really do great with time.

Appearance 2- I Liked It
Construction 2- Good
Burn 1.5- Even, No Touch up Needed
Ash 0-Flaky and loose, my lap is on fire
Flavor 3- Great smoke, lots of flavor, a staple in the humidor
Smoke Profile 1- Smokeable, maybe a harsh spot or two, but not distracting
Aroma
2- Nice and not overpowering, Aromatic, enjoyable fragrance

11.5 Points

Thanks for reading,

Now Go Get Some!!

No comments:


page counter